vrijdag 25 oktober 2019

the Parasites: Hazel Vivian Campbell



“Mr. Fuller the government is going to put you to work.”
 “What????” Lanny stood up straight and did not try to conceal the deep frown that came to his forehead.
The investigator, mistaking that frown for a well-earned surprise, smiled. Shaking her head, she went on. “Yes, Mr. Fuller, you are to be put to work. I know you think it is about time, and I am glad for your sake. I know how you all long to be independent of the government, and—” 
“What kind of work?” Lanny snapped, looking first from Cozie to the visitor. 
“Why, Mr. Fuller, you are not angry?” “Well, I ain't mad, but I got to know what kind of work I've got to do." Lanny did not change his tone of voice. “I can't do everything.” 
“Why, of course not, Mr. Fuller, but you will try and do what will be given to you."
"Is everyone getting jobs?"
"Why-no, not everyone, but as many on the relief as can be accomodated."
"Have all the taxpayers got a job?" Cozie spoke up her voice not concealing the anger she felt towards the woman.
"Taxpayers?" the woman frowned.
"Yes, taxpayers," spoke up Lanny.
"Why taxpayers?" she asked.
"They have to work more than we do. They have to support the government, and I think they deserve all the help they can get."

Hazel Vivian Campbell: the Parasites. in;
“Tell It to Us Easy” and Other Stories
A Complete Short Fiction Anthology of African American Women Writers in Opportunity Magazine (1923–1948)